recipe box : petite lemon cookies
i haven't always been a fan of lemony desserts.
lemon cookies, squares, tarts and cakes definitely did not make an appearance in my filipino mom's kitchen growing up. in fact the only real memories i have were seeing rows and rows of plated lemon meringue pie at the dessert bar in casino buffets. when you're a kid in vegas everything at a dessert bar is spectacular but i always ended up with something chocolaty or creating a very overloaded ice cream sundae making sure to use ALL available toppings, including the whipped cream! you can't forget the whipped cream.
in recent years though, i have come to truly enjoy lemon baked goods. i'm delightfully surprised that i grew into this newly acquired taste but it has a lot to do with how lucky i have been to have tasted properly prepared citrus desserts that were created with a lot of careful and deliberate thought.
this recipe, however, does not require a whole lot of thought. it's a pretty reliable straight forward type of cookie. no games!
i realize i often gravitate towards creating (and eating) baked goods that are more on the sturdy side and even though they are petite these babies are no exception. a cookie that'd hold up well if you packed them to go along for a picnic or my personal favorite.. sneaking them into a movie.
a little secret trick i learned, now i do this as often as possible when working with any citrus fruit, is to combine the sugar in the recipe with the zest. in this case, its lemon zest but doing this small extra step is really beneficial to the overall finished product and allows for a more full bodied flavor.
i can't wait to keep finding things that make me change my mind about a preconceived preference or way of thinking i have had. its refreshing to know you can always learn new things, you can always change your mind..you can always continue to grow. that's kind of some of the best parts about life. if you think something is permanent, it's not or at least it doesn't have to be if you allow yourself to keep an open mind.
i love recipe sharing, if there are any links or personal favs of some lemony baked goods that make your heart feel good.. hmu
Petite Lemon Cookies
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c butter, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
in a medium bowl
- sift together the flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda
in a small bowl
- combine the lemon zest with the sugar. using a fork, press the lemon zest into the sugar until it becomes fragrant and changes color.
in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment
- mix butter and lemon sugar for 2-3 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- add eggs, lemon juice, and both extracts, mix for 4-5 minutes on medium to high speed until light and fluffy.
- slowly add the dry ingredients in 3 separate increments, mix on low speed until just incorporated.
using a small ice cream scoop
- (i use a 1.6" wide sized scoop)
- scoop cookie dough into small balls, place them onto a parchment lined cooking sheet and slightly press down on each dough ball. make sure to leave about an inch of space between each dough ball.
in preheated 350° oven
- bake for 12-14 minutes, the centers should still be soft when you remove the cookies from the oven.